Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Really Busy

Here's the latest from Matt. He's been so busy that he hasn't had time to post on the blog. In fact, he is only calling home about once a week and he said he's only managed to reply to about one third of his emails lately. So if you don't get a reply to your email, please know that he appreciates the email but may not be able to respond to everyone personally at this time. It may get better if they ever get the internet/phone center operating near his hut.

A couple email excerpts
July 22 - "60 - 70 minute wait for phone tonight. Don't know why tonight is special.
I need to get to bed early, I have an early flight tomorrow, and I only got 5 hours sleep last night (had to fill in on a flight today after a later flight yesterday)."

Aug 5 - "They are flying the crap out of me lately. I might be able to call tonight. MWR trailer was suppsoed to open, but now one of the A/C units isn't working. I will do what I can.
Problem is, I hve had a string of either: long missions; or missions where something happens and we have to write stuff up and make products showing the important stuff; or missions where the customer wants lots of products. 10- or 11-hour days, then throw in how long it takes to take care of eating, laundry, etc. I have only worked out once in the last 9 days. "

I talked to him today and he noted that the airplanes can get very hot - "3,000 watts of power pouring heat into the aircraft and sometimes the air conditioners don't work" He also mentioned that they recently caught some bad guys that were apparently in the middle of trying to do something bad. As you can imagine, I'm being a little vague on purpose. At least it's good to know they have had some successes. Other than that he seems to be holding up pretty well. He has a couple days off coming up so hopefully he can provide some more info soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt -- At long last sending you a message. I do think a lot about you, especially when I hear about helicopters being hit and stuff and then I remember you're in a plane, thank God! I ran into Kate at the Irish Fair a few weeks ago, otherwise haven't seen anyone lately. Life mostly as usual here, though I'm going to Lisbon Portugal and Geneva/French Alps for a week in Sept. Trying to learn some Portuguese, which is a hard language to speak --Spanish certainly helps with grammar and vocabulary but messes me up with pronunciation.
I hope the laundry and cookie problems sort out and that you can get some rest. Take care. Leslie Partin

Swanny said...

Hey Leslie --

THanks for the note. Obvously I am not keeping up with things here real well. I will be going home for 2 weeks of leave soon.

Food shortages seem to have tapered, at least for now. It's not like we're starving, anyway.

Matt