Saturday, March 24, 2007

Settling In

I got to talk to Matt for a whole 18 minutes this morning. Wow! I’m afraid you’re stuck with my blogs for a little while since he really doesn’t have great internet access right now.

In general, he seems to be doing pretty well. He said inprocessing is going OK. They are getting ready to fly. They have a few more briefings and need to see the flight surgeon there. It sounds like they will typically fly one day and do analysis of the raw data for two days. He asked me to pass on that “there have only been 3 attacks (single rockets or mortar shells) in the last 8 months. This is a safe place (at least from the bad guys).” Hopefully you can all hear me (Laura) knocking on wood as I type this.

Regarding the layout of the base, they live fairly close to a chow hall and a small gym. However, they need to get transported to the area where they work. There is also a larger gym two miles away. As you might imagine, weightlifting is one of the few recreational activities he’ll be able to pursue there.

So far the temperatures are in the 70s to 80s, but he said that would end soon. One of the items he has already requested I send is Swiffer WetJet pads. Apparently there is lots of dust.

Feel free to email Matt. I can’t guarantee he’ll reply, but he should at least get them. If you have any suggestions for the blog (I’m obviously pretty new at this), just let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that Matt got there alright and that it doesn't sound as dangerous as other places in Iraq.

Tom FJ